Being a bus driver in a community is like being a superhero in disguise! You get to be the person who helps people get to where they need to go, whether it's to work, school or a night out with friends. Imagine being able to make someone's day just by getting them to their destination on time. That's what bus drivers get to do every day across the West of England!
Bus drivers are like the city's own personal tour guides, showing people all the best places to go and making sure they get there safe and sound. They help people get to work with a smile on their face, they make sure kids get to school ready to learn and they're the designated driver for a fun night out with friends. It's a pretty sweet gig if you ask us!
We want to give our customers great service and we can only do that by getting the right people in our driver team. You don’t need to be able to drive a bus yet as we will give you all the training you require to gain your PCV licence. You just need the right attitude and in return you’ll enjoy some of the great things that come from being part of our team…
Full time or part time hours…
You can work either full time, where you’ll be contracted to at least 37 hours per week, or part time. The choice is yours.
Enjoy the variety…
You won’t get bored staring at the same four walls in this job, as each day brings something new. Our driver teams are the heartbeat of the great towns and cities they serve, providing an essential service in helping to keep our customers moving. You’ll be meeting loads of new people and making a difference to their day.
Be a part of something…
We have a great team environment where colleagues become friends. Some employees have been with us for 25, 30 and even 40 years and really enjoy feeling part of one big family. And if you’re the ambitious type, it’s worth knowing that some of our most senior managers started off as drivers...
Refer & Earn...
If you know someone who works at First Bus, don't forget to mention their name in the relevant section of the application form and you'll both earn an extra £1500*. You will be paid this welcome bonus in two installments £750 after 3 months of being with First Bus and £750 after 6 months.
*payments will be subject to tax and National Insurance
There is also a great range of other benefits:
- Professional training (with pay) to pass the PCV theory and practical tests
- Ongoing professional development
- Up to 5 weeks holiday (plus Public Holidays)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free bus travel for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel on GWR, SWR and other First train companies
- High Street discounts
- Free uniform
Check out our bus driver jobs near you
We are now recruiting for the following positions. Just click on the link below for more information and to apply:
Trainee and Qualified Bus Driver, Marlborough Street, Bristol (Full Time) Based at Lawrence Hill depot
Trainee and Qualified metrobus Driver, Bristol (Full Time) Based at Lawrence Hill depot
What to expect on assessment day
If you are invited to attend an interview and assessment you will be ask to do the following:
- Have an interview with a member of our team to find out more about you, whether you are suited to the job and your opportunity to ask any questions about becoming a bus driver;
- Complete a medical assessment with our doctor, so please remember to bring a list of any medication you take and if you require glasses to drive please bring those;
- Have an assessment in a mini van (manual), however if you have a automatic licence we have a testing vehicle available. All our buses are automatic;
- We take the safety of our customers and colleagues very seriously, for that reason as an organisation we have a zero tolerance of alcohol and drugs and you will be tested during your assessment;
- Don't forget to bring Driving Licence and Right to Work Documents.