Tap On, Tap Off
The new way to pay where you only pay for what you use!
Simply ‘Tap On’ with the driver as you board, and ‘Tap Off’ using one of the new readers on board the bus as you exit.
We’ll work out the single fare based on the distance you travel. And you’ll only pay the fare for that journey. When you make additional journeys throughout the day, we’ll cap your payments at the max cost of a day ticket.
Plus, if you travel for additional journeys in the same week, you’ll unlock greater daily discounts as we calculate the fare for you based on how much you travel.
No more paper tickets! With Tap On, Tap Off, just tap and go - and remember to tap off when you leave the bus!
- Works with any valid credit or debit card, plus Google & Apple Pay.
- The same card or device must be used each time you use TOTO.
- Weekly calculation refreshes every Monday.
- Promotional fares are not available via TOTO.
How to use TOTO:
- Card clash happens when you accidentally tap more than one card or device on the Tap on Tap off readers.
- This can happen if you have multiple contactless cards within your purse or wallet and don't remove the card you want to use prior to tapping, or if you are trying to pay via mobile but keep your cards within your phone case.
- To avoid card clash and ensure you pay the best fare, please only present a single device or card when tapping in and present the same card or device when tapping out.
- If you don't, the Tap on Tap off readers may:
- Not register your card/device
- Take multiple payments from each card/device
- Take payment from the wrong card/device.
- Take an incorrect payment.
- Read our FAQ's below to find out more about how to check your transactions and how to get in touch if you believe you've been charged incorrectly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When you board the bus, use your contactless card or device to 'Tap on' at the ticket machine next to the bus driver. Once you've reached your destination, 'Tap off' the bus using the reader attached to the pole on the left hand side as you exit the bus.
If using a device, you will need to ensure you trigger the payment mechanism for that device when you 'Tap on' and 'Tap off' i.e. ensure Apple Pay or Google Pay registers the transaction.
You are charged the Single price for each journey you make, and the system will calculate your fare based on the distance you travel. If you make further trips on the same day the cost is capped at the Day ticket price. Each time you use TOTO in a 7 day period there is a max fare charged which is a discount on the Day fare.
When Tapping Off please ensure the reader lights are on. (The lights will only come on when the bus is travelling at less than 20km/h)
This will depend on your own bank and how quickly they process transactions. You will normally be billed daily.
The system is currently only designed for solo adult tickets.
Other ticket options continue to be available on the First Bus App.
You'll be charged the Single fare to the end of the journey of the bus you were travelling on - so please remember to 'Tap off'! We all make mistakes, so if you need any assistance let us know.
No, one of the benefits of the system is it is paperless. If you need a receipt you can access your payment history here >>
Yes, your payment history is linked to your card or device so make sure you use the same one each time you travel.
If you have your payment method set up on your mobile through Apple Pay or Google Pay, make sure you stick to one method. If you switch to your card, it will be treated as a new payment method and you might not benefit from the price caps.
If you've made a purchase on board that was subsequently declined by your bank, unfortunately your card will be automatically blocked by our system. Once any outstanding amounts are settled by your bank, your card will be automatically unblocked. Until this happens, you'll need to pay with an alternative method.
Yes, that's no problem. Just explain to our driver once you've tapped on for yourself - you can either purchase a normal ticket using cash or contactless, or use an alternative card or payment device to 'Tap on' for the other person
No, you do not need to 'tap off' and you can continue to use your pass as normal.
You can 'Tap off' at the ticket machine by the driver and this will record your journey correctly.