Enjoy free bus travel forever with a Senior Bus Pass!
Whether you're catching up with old friends at Westgate Arcade, or spending time with the grandkids at Castle Hill, if you're eligible for a state pension, you qualify for free bus travel across Halifax, Calder Valley & Huddersfield and England through the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme.
With a Senior Bus Pass, you can enjoy unlimited free bus rides every weekday from 9:30am onwards, all day on weekends and public holidays too. You could meet up with friends for a coffee or catch up with your family, head to the shops or explore some of the local museums - you can do more of what you love whilst spending less.
So what are you waiting for? Start making memories to last a lifetime with your free Senior Bus Pass.
Using a Senior, Blind or Disabled Travel Pass:
- If you are of state pensionable age and over or registered disabled and hold a valid concessionary pass you're entitled to free travel on our buses after 9:30am Monday to Friday and all day weekends and Bank Holidays.
- Before 9:30am Monday-Friday the full adult fare is payable.
- If you hold a Metro Blind Travel Pass you're entitled to free travel on our buses at all times. Just show your pass to the driver as you board.
- If you hold a concessionary pass (blind, disabled or senior) showing the companion symbol, then one companion is entitled to the same concession as the pass holder. You don't have to travel with the same companion every time you use our buses, but your companion does have to get on and off the bus at the same stop as you.
Senior Pass FAQs
Am I eligible?
Anyone who qualifies for a state pension and lives in West Yorkshire can apply for the Senior Bus Pass from WY Metro. The age when you qualify for a state pension is not the same for everyone and depends on the year you were born. Check your state pension age to see when you'll be eligible for free bus travel.
How do I apply for my pass?
The Senior Bus Pass is issued by WY Metro. If you’re eligible you can apply for your pass on their website here or by visiting a Metro Travel Centre within the West Yorkshire bus stations.
How do I use my pass?
Simply tap, beep, then take a seat!
1. Tap your pass on to the ticket machine as you board.
2. Wait for the beep from the ticket machine.
3. Take a seat on the bus.
Enjoy FREE bus travel forever.
What if my pass doesn't work?
You can still travel - your driver will record your pass manually and issue you with a ticket for your journey.
What if my pass needs to be replaced?
You can renew your pass 28 days before it's due to expire by visiting a Metro Travel Centre in bus stations or online here.
If you have lost your pass, you should contact your card issuer to arrange for a replacement pass. There is a £5 charge to replace a lost or damaged Senior Bus Pass.
In West Yorkshire, you can contact the MetroLine team on 0113 245 7676 or visit them at the bus station Metro Travel Centres.
How do I find out more information about the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme?