Terms and Conditions
The promoter is: First York Limited, registered address: First Bus York, George Hudson Street, York, YO1 6WR.
The title of the competition is “York £20K Restart Fund”
The York £20K Restart Fund has been setup to help ignite York’s economic recovery; £1K from the fund will be awarded to 15 successful applicants/businesses with a further £2.5K, £1.5K and £1K to be awarded to the top 3 of the people's choice (vote).
How to enter
The York £20K Restart Fund application will run from Thursday 15th April (the "Opening Date") to Friday 30th April (the "Closing Date") inclusive.
All applications must be received by the Promoter via the First York website application from no later than 23:59pm on the Closing Date. All entries received after the Closing Date are automatically disqualified.
Complete the online entry form, which can be found on the First York website here by the Closing Date.
The Promoter will not accept:
- responsibility for entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any postal failure, equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind; or
- proof of posting or transmission as proof of receipt of entry.
By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions.
For help with entries, contact us at YorkCommercialTeam@FirstBus.co.uk
The York £20K Restart Fund will be made up of two rounds, Round One (“Round One”) and Round Two (“Round Two”) respectively.
- Round One will take place from Thursday 15th April to Friday 30th April inclusive. Round One will be judged by a panel of three judges [based on the application questions] from Monday 3rd May – Sunday 9th May. The decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) will be final.
- Round Two will take place from Monday 17th May to Thursday 20th May inclusive. Round Two will be judged by people's choice (vote) via the Promoter’s website and via @FirstBusYork Instagram. The photo and a brief description of the 15 successful applicants will then be posted individually to the above social media channel – the total ‘likes’ on each post across all three channels will be counted and added to the votes received via the First Bus York website webform (www.firstbus.co.uk/RestartFundPeoplesChoice) to identify the top three winners. The decision of the Promoter when counting total ‘likes’ will be final.
The York £20K Restart Fund is only open to businesses:
- with a York postcode.
- with a recognised trading point/base where the public can visit (not a virtual address);
- that conform to City of York trading standards (found here);
- that have no more than 3 branches;
- that are not part of a larger business or chain of outlets;
- that are bona fide;
- that have been operating for at least 12 months from the Round one Opening Date;
- that sell products or services to customers from its premises.
- that operate across retail, hospitality (food and drink), leisure, or health and beauty.
The competition is not open to:
- employees of the Promoter or its holding or subsidiary companies;
- employees of agents or suppliers of the Promoter or its holding or subsidiary companies, who are professionally connected with the competition or its administration; or
- members of the immediate families or households of (a) and (b) above;
- In entering, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win. The Promoter may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter.
The Promoter will not accept entries that are:
- automatically generated by computer;
- completed by third parties or in bulk;
- illegible, have been altered, reconstructed, forged or tampered with;
- from political parties or organisations who promote a specific political party;
- from any organisation that could be deemed to have a controversial or negative impact on the reputation of the Promoter; or
- from crowd-funded businesses/appeals.
If a business/applicant is successful, the received sum from the fund may not be used for the following:
- Projects/activities which have already been completed, or for previous debt repayments; funding cannot be awarded retrospectively;
- Projects/activities outside of the 21/22 financial year;
- Projects/activities that are not legal;
- attendance at conferences or seminars;
- Projects/activities which collect funds for distribution to other charities or individuals;
- Projects/activities that statutory authorities have an obligation to provide;
- Research projects e.g. customer survey;
- Marketing promotions e.g. outdoor posters, door-drop leaflets, digital advertisements etc;
- To pay for the core costs of running the business e.g. employee wages or rental of the business premises;
- To purchase alcohol or tobacco products.
If a business/applicant is successful, the below are some examples of what the received sum from the fund may be used for:
- to purchase new machinery, tools, equipment, or furniture that will provide additional benefit to the business and the business’ ability to serve or communicate with customers e.g. an additional station for a salon;
- to purchase new technology that will provide additional benefit to the business and the business’ ability to serve or communicate with customers e.g. a check in system for a restaurant.
There is a limit of one entry per business. Entries on behalf of another person or business will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
The Promoter reserves all rights to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the York £20K Restart Fund.
Entries cannot be returned or transferred.
The prize is:
- Round One: £1,000 and 15 prizes are available.
- Round Two: The 15 successful applicants will then be subject to a people's choice vote to decide the top three to win a share of the remaining £5,000 fund. The 1st place applicant will receive £2,500, the 2nd place applicant will receive £1,500 and the 3rd place applicant will receive £1,000.
The prize is not negotiable or transferable.
The decision of the Promoter and the judges nominated by the Promoter is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
The Promoter will contact the winners personally as soon as is practical after the Announcement Dates, using the email address provided within the registration form.
The Promoter must either publish or make available information that indicates that a valid award took place. To comply with this obligation the Promoter will publish the Round One winners week commencing 10th May 2021 and publish the winners of Round Two week commencing 24th May 2021 (Announcement Dates).
The successful applicants will need to provide a suitable photo of their shop front/business.
If you object to any or all of your business name, winning entry and photo being published or made available, please contact the Promoter [YorkCommercialTeam@FirstBus.co.uk]. In such circumstances, the Promoter must still provide the information and winning entry to the Advertising Standards Authority on request.
Claiming the prize
If you are the winner of a prize, you will have 2 days from the date of the confirmation email to claim the prize by confirming acceptance of the prize by return email to the Promoter.
- Round one: the £1K share of the fund will be awarded to the 15 successful businesses via cheque, delivered by registered post.
- Round two: the top three winners will need to provide the relevant banking details for their business by Monday 24th May 2021 in order to permit the additional share of £5K to be sent by First Bus via BACS transfer W/C 24th May 2021.
The Promoter will make all reasonable efforts to contact the winner. If the winner cannot be contacted or is not available, or has not claimed their prize within 2 days of the relevant confirmation email, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to the next eligible entrant selected from the entries that were received before the Closing Date.
The Promoter does not accept any responsibility if you are not able to take up the prize.
Limitation of liability
Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Ownership of entries and intellectual property rights
All entries and any accompanying material submitted to the Promoter will become the property of the Promoter on receipt and will not be returned.
By submitting your competition entry and any accompanying material, you agree to:
- assign to the Promoter all your intellectual property rights with full title guarantee; and
- waive all moral rights, in and to your entry and otherwise arising in connection with your entry to which you may now or at any time in the future be entitled under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 as amended from time to time and under all similar legislation from time to time in force anywhere in the world.
You agree that the Promoter may, but is not required to, make your entry available on its website [www.FirstBus.co.uk/York] and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity of the York £20K Restart Fund. You agree to grant the Promoter a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the entry and any accompanying materials, to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-licence the entry for such purposes.
Data protection and publicity
The Promoter will only process your personal information as set out in https://www.firstgroupplc.com/site-services/privacy.
By submitting an application, you agree to participate in PR activity carried out by the Promoter in relation to the York £20K Restart Fund, this may include, but is not limited to, news releases, social media posts and website features. Information that may be shared includes business name, a photo and summary of response to application questions 1 - 4. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude you from participating in the York £20K Restart Fund.
The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the York £20K Restart Fund where it becomes necessary to do so.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.