Back to school? Let's get there together!
With children returning to school we have taken additional measures to ensure that they can return safely, reliably, and in a cost-effective way via First Bus.
We have implemented a daily enhanced cleaning regime across our bus fleet with additional focus on all hand and grab rails. More information can be found on our dedicated COVID web page here.
We have some new features available to help you on your journey:
- Live capacity tracking on the First Bus App - track where your bus is, how far it is from your stop, and how many seats are free. You can download our app here!
- Space Checker on our website here - check your service for the busiest and quietest times to travel, so you can choose the best time to suit you.
Dedicated school bus services:
As confirmed by the Department for Education, social distancing will not be required on-board school-only services, as they will be sharing a bus with others from their school, and not members of the public.
- Buses will operate at almost-full capacity, the 50% capacity restrictions do not apply.
- Students should sit with those in their year group that are part of their "school bubble".
- Students should wear a face covering on our buses unless your are under the age of 11, you are exempt in line with the reasons shown on Gov.uk here.
For more information on dedicated school bus services, please visit the West Yorkshire Combined Authority page here. You can search for specific service information relevant to your school and browse the FAQs.
Public bus services:
- You MUST wear a face covering on our buses unless you are under the age of 11, or you are exempt in line with the reasons shown on Gov.uk here.
- You need to socially distance on board – please only sit with members of your immediate household (e.g. a brother or sister)
- Capacity signs at the entrance of each bus will show the maximum capacity allowed on-board.
- Follow the on-board signs and seat tape to find an available seat.
- Standing will not be allowed on our buses.
- You can pay with contactless on board our buses, or you can buy your ticket in advance on the First Bus App. If buying for a child, certain tickets can be gifted; this means that, whilst you complete payment, the tickets are delivered directly to your childs phone. Find out more about gifting tickets here.
From Monday 8th March, we restored the majority of our timetables to pre-lockdown levels of service, including our school services, and introduced additional journeys to help pupils get to school.
You can find a summary of these additional journeys below:
07:57 Halifax to Sowerby
08:05 Todmorden – Halifax
15:10 Calder High – Halifax
15:40 Halifax – Todmorden
15:50 Halifax – Todmorden
From Queensbury to Holmfirth across to Sowerby Bridge and Wakefield, we have over 50 First Bus routes in Halifax, Calder Valley and Huddersfield.
See exactly where your journey can take you.
From Sunday 31st May, we've introduced new timetables to help with safe, socially-distanced travel for essential journeys.